What is the role of a Gastroenterologist?
Gastroenterologists help patients with GI discomfort feel better through symptomatic assessment and endoscopic procedures.
- Some of the symptoms and conditions a Gastroenterologist treats are:
- Pain or discomfort in the abdomen
- Blood in stools or internal bleeding in the digestive tract
- Celiac disease
- Colon and colorectal cancer, as well as cancer of the stomach, pancreas, and liver
- Trouble swallowing, or Dysphagia
- Diseases and conditions of the colon, such as polyps, IBS, IBD, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, and Diverticulitis
- Gallbladder issues
- Heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD
- Hiatal hernias
- Inflammation, lactose intolerance, and other issues with digestion
- Liver disease such as hepatitis
- Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting
- Unexplained weight loss